Friday, July 28, 2006

Burger #3 and Night Ride




Burger 3# 16x290 on wood

A Burger place in Azusa that has been out of businesses for awhile now. This is another just at that moment where the sun has left the building. This one is from some months ago because some others are not dry yet.

The old memory can play tricks on me. On a nocturnal bike ride last night I found out the burger place was #4 and it was in Monrovia not Azusa. Who cares? I do. Can we allow Angelo's burger #4 be forgotten?


The heat finally dropping last night encouraged me to go on a long evening bike ride way out to the Miller brewing plant about an hour from my house if you take real roads, I went on the street for part of the time then back alleys and RR tracks taking a total of 4 hours it was all grey, twilight and darkness. Relief from the blazing son, praise god.





Under the freeway this is past the halfway mark. Getting dusky.



Looking behind me that's the San Gabriel river.



I arrive at the Miller plant at twlight.



Minutes later the lights came on.



Hiding from security, time to go anyway. Fun creepy.





on the way back it's totally dark now.

13 Comments:

Blogger Jesse said...

It's interesting to see a painting with such flat light. It's making it feel a tad abstract, as a construction of flat shapes as opposed to a landscape made of physical objects.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Steven LaRose said...

Do you head out into the world with surfaces that have been pre-warmed. Meaning, is there a golden basecoat? Or do you work a thin wash first?

11:30 PM  
Blogger Urban Barbarian said...

looks like a hot day, judging from the ground. Big surprise, eh?

Another great one!

1:13 AM  
Blogger justinpatrickparpan said...

Its strange how these abandoned structures seem more soulful and alive when vacant. I guess there more vulnerable that way? Anyhow, splendid painting. You can really feel the heat, and the silence of the twilight.

10:53 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Jesse,

It's funny I was about to take umbrage with the term flat color, but it's true... There was very little value difference in the whole parking lot. I guess I felt like a challenge as it's easy to get drama from dramatic lighting, so in this one I had to get depth from brushstroke direction, subtle color changes and perspective.

11:46 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Stephen I do both. Just to enlighten you all of the bigger paintings are in studio and some of the small are to. I only do PA about a third of the time. As far as base coats I do booth pre- prepared and thin washes I let dry. I also like to take old paintings and sand them down with a belt sander to paint on a rough surface with faded colors I let show thru on small areas.

11:51 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey Dan,
Yes it was, but this was painted in studio--

It actually not blazing hot here for the first time in a month thank God.

11:54 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey Justin,
Ghosts are more interesting than live people, yes? People are more interested in watching a building being blown up than being built. I'd rather hang in a cemetery than in a maternity ward, but that's me. I also like these places because they are quiet. I'm sick of yaking humans. Except on my blog of course. ;-)

12:15 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey Chris,

Thanks for your concern, I have a high end 3m mask.

2:46 PM  
Blogger aw said...

I love how cheerful this one feels, despite being of "plain jane" subject matter! Love the textures and stuff showing through!

6:22 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Thanks AW. when I'm at these empty ghost shell places I feel more comfortable then when they are bursting with people.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Angelo said...

I swear I never work on that Angelo's burger or own one...:)
nice painting man
Angelo

10:31 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Nobody else will either.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home