Thursday, April 17, 2008

Yellow House and The Gold Medal Show






Oil 8x10 on linen

Just a little painting of a Yellow house in Pomona.( Not in the CAC show) Pretty close to the Foundry if I remember correctly. It sold it the second I brought it into the gallery. Sometimes when when that happens you wish you kept the painting.




The California Art Club will be opening its much-anticipated Annual Exhibition at the Pasadena Museum of California Art on Sunday, April 27th. A special Gala Reception will be held on the evening of April 26th.
a small painting of mine will be included in this nationally recognized exhibition. To preview the artwork
Go to the CAC Link ------>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Then look Under Annual Gold Medal then click View Art work to see it and a ton of great painting by all the members.



Portuguese Bend oil 9x12 on linen panel

A few weeks back I was lucky enough to be invited by Boomer Beach to paint at Portuguese Bend with the local artists and some out of Towner's like Viking 57. I'd like to name drop, as more that one of my hero's was there, but don't known the edict of the situation. It was a perfect day I heard one painter who lived there mention in all the years there he had never seen a nicer one.
Me being the rebel in my own mind didn't paint the rolling hills, but found a little gully with some rundown trucks and a metal storage container. I'm on the fence on this one...
I was feeling like I need a challenge so I picked a tough view and I don't think I simplified it enough and in fact, overworked the paint trying to get the trees right. Still, it was a lovely day screaming Peacocks and all. Later at dinner all the artists were all warm and accommodating to me, a stranger to most of them.

20 Comments:

Blogger Kim VanDerHoek said...

I can see why it sold so quickly. The purple sky is the perfect contrast to the yellow house. Was that deliberate or intuitive?

Good luck in the CAC show! I wish I could attend the opening.

7:37 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

I don't see how it's overworked, but then I wasn't there screaming at my hand "Why don't you paint it right?! See? See those trees? Make the paint look like them!"
I think it looks cool, especially that shy little truck hiding under the trees.

4:45 AM  
Blogger Patty Meglio said...

I love the yellow house. I'm not surprised that it sold so quickly. It's a bit different than what you usually see, but very attractive.

Like the fact that you rebelled and chose a less picturesque view to paint. I'm all for doing things differently.

5:03 AM  
Blogger Michael Pieczonka said...

Bill, beauty colour and impressionistic feel on that top piece of the house. I dig the yellow house, and the nice designy blue green of the grass and trees.

rock on!! Mike

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 nice new pieces!

5:53 AM  
Blogger Bill Cramer said...

I've been reading your blog for a while now both because of the quality of your work and your insightful discussions of it. Thanks for putting it all out there!

I like the piece you have in the CAC show, I wish I could get to Pasadena to see it. Congrats on being in such a fine show.

The yellow house sold so quickly because it works on many levels. Color, composition and the underlying sentimental nature of the subject that isn't saccharine. That's the house where I grew up, with the chain link fence, powerlines overhead and an abundance of unpruned weeds in the lot nextdoor.

The only problem I had with the other piece is determining whether the color at the top is the sky or the sea. Otherwise, I like the POV.

7:07 AM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

Both are Wray signature pieces. Love the lilac in the yellow house sky... been a good year for you Will.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Fantastic job on this little yellow house Bill. You've taken a very simple little subject and really made it special.

5:46 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I never got to see the yellow house painting... Actually would have liked to keep that one to hang in the house.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Paintopolis said...

nice composition as always! -James

7:59 AM  
Blogger Drake Brodahl (pumml) said...

The yellow house is a winner, Bill. The other one ain't shabby neither.

9:45 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey Van,

the sky was a typical blue one, I canged to to complemt the house and push the contrast.

2:08 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

AG-- I wish I started sooner thenI might buy your complement. Thanks!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Danny Griego said...

Hi William
Love the yellow house painting. Congrats on the sale. Good luck this weekend at the Gold Medal show. Hopefully I'll get my act together for next year and enter! Your work is looking fantastic as always.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Ilse T.Hable said...

Like your Portuguese Bend very much! The yellow house too, but the scene with the trucks is more unusual. You are really good!!
Ilse

7:19 AM  
Blogger indiaartist said...

Love the yellow house. So beautiful!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Mustang Mike said...

Man, this is great stuff. First time visitor. Came to me via the "car a day" blog which I just enjoy so much. See you soon..Mike

7:31 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

BgG when you do any part of a painting it ovrwoprked. IMO

6:10 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Patty-- I try. ;-)

6:10 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Michael! and Thor!

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home