Friday, March 07, 2008

Above Travel Town


9x12 oil on linen


I got together with some old friends for a little PA painting last week. We first went to the Western Masters show at the Aurty and a quick lunch at the Golden Spur. Show was good, the food passable... our general consensus was this Cyrus Afsary was the best landscape,




but the Daniel Pinkham’s blew me away. We had planed to paint at the Train museum nearby (Travel Town) but it was closed. Making the best of a disappointing situation we walked up the road above Travel town, set up, and painted the water tank and the surrounding area. It was great getting back outside for the first time in many months. Vadim is my figure teacher, but seemed to enjoy a rare landscape outing. Ex students Bill Moore and Richard Scott rounded out the gang. I think we all did a good painting that day, I forgot how nice it is to just paint outside. They can't all be dark brooding studio paintings... ;-)




Bill Moore does the tank


The Master at work


Richard, Vadim and Bill M. and my old Dodge.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the first painting...reminds me of Paul Cezanne.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Michael Chesley Johnson, Artist / Writer said...

Beautiful piece, Bill. Nice to be outside again, huh?

3:57 AM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Nice work! We can't exactly do green pieces around here yet, so pardon the slight swoon of jealousy.

8:08 AM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

Will, a fine day it was - thx for recording the event. Some may want to know that even though your painting kit was brought to the ground by a gust of wind, canvas dripping in Gamsol, you were able to recover, use it to your advantage and create this beauty. I hope you left in the gravel and little leaves that got into the paint.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Kim VanDerHoek said...

I like everything about this one Will! And I too hope you left some gravel on the panel!

Amazing weather and spring color outside, it's too nice to be indoors painting.

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bill,
your painting of the big round tank is a sweet piece. I love the richness of it, probably would be a great one to see in person. I'd love to add more of that 'full' look to my stuff

10:34 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Wow thanks Daniel!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Evham said...

Bill, I just made a trip to the Salton Sea in Southern California. I would love to see your take on this area. I really liked your article in artist magazine. Keep up the good work!

9:39 PM  
Blogger Mike Manley said...

Great piece William, being out with the fellow painters serverd you well.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

So this is what it looks like when the guys go out and paint!

9:58 PM  
Blogger sandy said...

Beautiful!!! and loved the pics.

sandy

1:01 PM  
Blogger Cookedart said...

Wow!

Incredible stuff!

4:48 AM  
Blogger http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

Love the tank

6:22 AM  
Blogger Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Fantastic. Love the complimentary under painting peeking through.
Color harmony is great.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home