Saturday, September 13, 2008

Bill and Tony's under the freeway adventure


Under the Over 11x 14 oil on canvas board



Several weeks ago Tony and I went to San Pedro to takes pictures of the area. After shooting all day we thought we were done for the night, but while tooling along home we decided to shoot the metro LACMTA station at where the century freeway crosses the Harbor freeway.



Taco's at Midnight 11x14 oil on linen

It was pretty late, but our art reference blood was up so we parking the car on Figueroa. I noticed a taco wagon down a side street that became the little painting above. We walked along an off ramp for a bit them doubled back and across the freeway taking a long walk to the Metro station.



We toured the train platform where we encountered a local who wasn't in a hurry to catch his train.



On the way down to the bus platform I spotted a crack whore way down on the bottom level, as I took her picture a gentleman shoved a low rent blackberry like device under my nose with an image of a diamond necklace or something. The considerate midnight salesman hoped I shared his fascination with the bling, but I politely excused myself to continue down with my business at hand. The whore was in rough shape, clearly she was in the most desperate of states as she snuck up behind me while I was taking pictures... then thought the better of it when I turned around she veered off.



Continuing on past another gentleman working the pipe for all it was worth,( behide the pillar) I went past the last bus stop and started down the center-dividing strip on the Harbor freeway.



Tony soon caught up to me and we went along quite a ways in the dark. Good spooky times.




Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger tonypetersart said...

We look pretty hard-core under that freeway... if I do say so myself:-) By the end of the day, I think I was as stinky and dirty as any of the other colorful characters we came accross down there.

Those are a couple of good looking paintings you got out of our little adventure. I didn't see the potential of the taco truck when we were standing there at the time, but you pulled it off!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Sakievich said...

Sounds like a pleasant place...

8:12 PM  
Blogger liquidmethod said...

The painting under the freeway has to be one of my favorites to date! Great work as always!

5:23 AM  
Blogger Kim VanDerHoek said...

An adventure for sure! Sounds like you were almost mugged by a hooker. You two are a brave pair.

Love the paintings!

7:54 PM  
Blogger polaco scalerandi said...

beautifull efects in this paintings under the bridge bill. congratulations!!!
its a wanderfull,
saludos
el polaco from argentina

10:33 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

These are fantastic -

6:56 PM  
Blogger Jeanette Jobson said...

What adventures you have in the name of art! It sounded a little creepy there, but fabulous photos and painting came out of it.

It makes me nervous just thinking about the characters you came across. Doesn't it freak you out a bit at times?

4:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the Taco Truck! what an adventure.

9:41 PM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

Excellent work all.. and I imagine fun. Your use of light in both pieces really delivers a punch and a sense of the mysterious. You've captured the feel of the location brilliantly.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Rui Sousa said...

Love your work, really fantastic!
Congratulations.
Regards.

I invite you to visit

www.ruisousaartworks.blogspot.com

2:48 AM  
Blogger Albert Sorrentino Jr. said...

wow, you doing some real beautiful work with light in these last three postings of paintings! These freeway paintings have some birliant shots of light, I love the color! always looking good!

9:54 PM  
Blogger jem said...

cheers for dropping by! loving your work as always, looking forward to your sparrow issue.
j

3:09 AM  
Blogger James said...

I just love your paintings. They are just great. It's something about the thick paint, and brush strokes that really appeals to me. I dunno what exactly it is, but it adds a really natural touch to it.

2:05 PM  
Blogger LuisNCT said...

good chosing of colors to work the night tones, I really like the two paintings

12:31 PM  
Blogger Joe Santos said...

Great work and also very brave. I have abandoned a few photo taking ventures in the Los Angeles area because they became too dangerous. Much respect to you.

12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home