Friday, December 16, 2005

Chinatown


Here is a quick small painting done as a gift for my framer in Chinatown in LA. 6x8" oil. He framed something for me for free as a Christmas present. (We do a lot of business.) I was going to just give him a random painting in return, but didn't think that would interest him as much as a shot of his own business and the thought that I did it especially for him. This presented a small inspiration problem at first as it's not a tremendously interesting building, but by looking around I found the right angle and pushed the colors in what I hope was an interesting way. The more traditional building behind it helped give it idenity. The owner "Thai" and his brother Phillip have very good prices, lovely frames and are polite and generous to artist regulars (see the frame on Still Life in a lower blog entry.) I drive all the way from Sierra Madre into Chinatown to use them. There number is (213) 621-O471 and tell them I sent you.

On another note I want to thank everyone who wrote me via my article on Boing Boing, it's been overwhelmingly gratifying with all the kind letters and new connections. Also A thank you to Mark at BB for posting.

8 Comments:

Blogger Urban Barbarian said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Urban Barbarian said...

You gave this one away? Ugh! Why? Why?

Great colors! The sky and the building really mix together well! This might be one of my favorites.

6:06 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey Dan,

I didn't exactly give it away, I painted it for him. He gives me such deep discouts I feel I owe it to him. I like him to. So besides winning a contest and placing in another, I Just sold the paintng your wife wouldn't let you buy. It framed up nice.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Chuck Rose said...

Karma baby. What goes around, comes around. You did a good thing.

Keep it up.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Urban Barbarian said...

...grumble.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Gabriele Pennacchioli said...

Lovely, lovely painting.
I would love to see any of your drawings as well.

12:22 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:56 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

hate to admit it, but I rarely do preliminary drawings. I don't recommend avoiding that step, I get away with it because of my years of drawing in comics. I must have drawn over 10,000 panels with landscape environment in them. I kind of have it down. ;-)
However, I can trace many of my weakness in a painting when it comes to a strong simple shadow pattern and breakdown of shapes. For that reason, I'm going back to doing a Dan McCaw style, three values thumbnail and will post some with my next post/ painting the King of Melrose.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home