Monday, August 21, 2006

Engine and Ray Roberts



Hello fellow Bloglodytes,
I'm back a little early from the trip. I was spending to much time visiting and taking photos, sleeping and being "Vacation lazy." I wasen't painting enough and there is little time left to get ready for my show in Senora. I panicked and rushed back, now I'm in full in studio painting mode with tons of great referance.
Had a really nice visit with Ray Roberts, picked up a painting from him posted below. It was a real treat to get to look through all his work, to spy on him painting a big studio piece, and ask him about his process. Of course I talked to much, a bad habit when I'm nervous or any other time. He taught one of the best workshops I've taken and I highly recommend him. I love his color and the freedom of his brushwork.

Above is a PA I did before I left for the trip that hadn't dried yet. 8x10 oil on Linen. This is by the LA river, across and slightly South of Chinatown, about the same place I took the photo for Expressionist Train. I had almost finished the engine when another train rolled in coupled with it and pulled it away. Jay Mac was so intently working, she didn't notice it was gone. I mock yelled: "they stole my train" and she laughed and suddenly screamed (I'm paraphrasing): "the Fucking train is gone!" She's hadn't put it in her panting yet. Luckily I had a photo, I don't think she really used it, she's good enough to "fake it"


23 Comments:

Blogger tonypetersart said...

I'm impressed, that's a darn fine plein-air painting. You crammed alot of stuff on to that little canvas. Looks good.

Welcome back. I love the Ray Roberts piece. He's not just filling in form... he can really push paint around. Those clouds are real buttery. Excellent pick.

2:48 AM  
Blogger tonypetersart said...

By the way... the light on that train works quite well. This piece would look especially good at a large scale. Any hope to see a big version soon?

2:51 AM  
Blogger Miles Thompson said...

that painting looks DAMN good man - LOOSE - nice Ray Roberts painting you picked up too - both really beautiful!

9:05 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey Tony,
Ray is such a great painter, he reminds me of if Maynard Dixon was a contemporary California painter. A fine balance of old and new. I might do a bigger version of "Engine", but I have so many new ones I want to do just on their own... Thanks!

8:04 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Getting as goosy as I can. Ray is always an insperation.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Urban Barbarian said...

Great work Bill! You're very prolific these days. And Ray's work has a very glassy feel to it. I really like it. It's both classic and modern all at the same time.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Mike Manley said...

Glad to hear the trip went well, the paintings look good, like Tony said, nice and buttery, the perspective in yours really works here.

10:50 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Heh, Bloglodytes. I like it.
I've heard it before, but it's still weird to hear a big leaguer like yourself being nervous around another painter.
Anyway, I don't like the yellow on that car in the background. Not that it isn't well-done, I just don't care for the color yellow. I do like, though, how it sits so far back, and yet grabs your attention from the foreground, forcing your eyes further in.

11:30 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Thanks Dan,

Ray has a very laid back vibe about him, maybe that how he pulls off the bright colors and wild brushwork, somehow he makes it claming.

11:46 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey Mike,

Just did two paintings today with no perspective to speak of. I hope I pulled them off.

11:48 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey BG ,
You will have to take up the yellow trian problem with the railroad, I just work here. I don't paint them, I just paint them.

11:50 PM  
Blogger turcios curriculum said...

fantastic world and art!!
in spanish:
me encanta tu pintura, preciosas atmosferas y realidades.
abrazo

6:52 AM  
Blogger Michael Pieczonka said...

Bill... wow, that Ray Roberts guys sure has some nice paintings! Beautiful colours in them.. and simple forms too. Looks like he has a nice place to paint as well (jealous!)

9:51 AM  
Blogger glamaFez said...

I prefer this "Engine" P.A. to the expressionist train. It has that fine eerie daytime bleakness to it. Welcome back, Bill.

11:28 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

TURCIOS--So is your art! Bravo!

11:46 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

If you like the sticks you would like his place, Angels Camp is county living.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Urban Barbarian said...

Well, he really seems to understand tone and value [ something I consistently struggle with ]. His shadows aren't so severe that they mimic nighttime and the areas where light hits aren't over saturated. It's a charming blend. It's rare to see someone use the restraint he commands.

6:10 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

glam-- "daytime bleaknes"? Thanks, I'll steal that.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Hayes said...

Hey Bill,

Haven't been by in a while, but these train & construction scenes are AWESOME.

8:24 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Jeff.

3:44 PM  
Blogger alberto mielgo said...

Beautifull new pic.
thanks for this R. Roberts, I just check his link and it's amazing. Pure light. great discover

6:22 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:48 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Yes Alberto he's great. He dosen't even know how great.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home