Tuesday, October 10, 2006

SLO Part 2 Hope, doubts and losses.

We had lovely weather the entire time, I was well positioned being in Santa Margarita as it was inland and got more sun that the coast. Some artists when to Morro Bay in the mornings and had to deal with fog. All I ever had was a little grey on one moring and some patchy clouds with sprinkles one day. I did a few paintings I didn't like that I might post after I fix, but hit my stride with this little one done down a back road in Santa Margarita where it was very rural, just my kind of subject.

When I walked up on this property, the owner was working on his truck with a buddy who swung around at my approach. I apologized for startling him, he said," I wasn't startled, I got my gun right here." I smiled and said he had me at a disadvantage as I was unarmed. After being sure I didn't work for the government, they let me paint there.



Another morning, I did this farm, my most blatant attempt at trying to do a typical painting that I assumed was expected by the typical collector at this kind of event, in this town, for this kind of show.





One two separate afternoons I tackled a larger, more ambitious version of the Sunset Drive in (at sunset) thinking it would be my big show piece, but in the end it ended up as a back up as I didn't care for it as much, to much mush painting where I felt lost and off my game.




Finally on d- day Friday, I went to the SLO train station and tried another big painting starting early I worked really hard and felt that I had pulled it off. Everyone at the station was nice to me from the stationmaster to the engineers to people who came by. I almost sold the painting on the spot. Buoyed by the positive feedback, I knew I had done about the best I could do under the circumstances, if I was going to win, this one would be the one. I only have a photo of it,I will post it on the next entry.

They tried something new this year, a collector's preview night where collectors had to pay $100 to get first shot at our paintings. I entered the smaller inside sunset driven- in for my Modern side, the Farm painting for tradition and the Train painting as something in the middle. We mixed up the times and got there too early, but were recruited to help with last minute posting of titles and that was kind of fun.
First came the awards judged by two very nice collectors who liked traditional tight work except for one wacky fun choice.
That left me in the dust, but I rationalized to myself I hadn't really expected to win on my first try anyway. I received lots of compliments for other artists, about the Drive in painting and the train, but the auction went slow, the paintings with awards did well, but frankly the rest of us with a few exceptions heard the crickets. I was told this was an experiment, that tomorrow the quick draw auction always did well and the "regular" auction would bring out the rest of the collectors. I tried to ignore my negative thoughts and think positive. Tomorrow would be bettr... right?

16 Comments:

Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Actually, I really like the drive-in one. But then, I go for those "memory of past life" shots over others. Plus I thought it was clever that it was actually painted at sunset. I do like your other two above, it's just that they're a little too sunshiny for me. It is October, you know.

2:48 AM  
Blogger tonypetersart said...

That painting of the farm is really nice and clean. And I'm sure you'll bring a nice finish to that Sunset Drive-in piece, it's looking good.

It's really impressive to see so much work in such a short time. You've got a great momentum going.

8:19 AM  
Blogger glamaFez said...

I'm glad that guy with the gun let you paint there, because that's a gem of a painting. I like it much better than the other two, because it is more about painting than it is about its subject.

And I love that the boat is centered. Centering is underrated.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Urban Barbarian said...

LOVE IT! I like this sign a lot better!

Keep up the postive mental attitude and don't let a few judges determine your worth! You're putting out some beautiful paintings!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Leslie Sealey said...

I like the way the guy's yard stuff is all on one side of the painting, contained by the suggestion of a path. I also liked the "Sunset at sunset" painting a lot! I think you could bring that one to a great finish.

10:20 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey BG You like the drive in one because it remind you its time to go out and feed. Sunshine just means you have to sleep.

10:50 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Chris,

Hearing crickets is the same as "deafening silence" means the part you meant and audience to laugh or clap at is greeted with quite enough to hear crickets. As for a centering, sometimes I just ignore the rules and do what feel right to me. Yet if someone else does it I'll point it out... bit of a hypocrite.

10:56 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Thanks Tony,

MOre to come.

11:41 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

He Glam,
Jove Wang tought me you can center things sometimes. I'm not sure if he would agree this was one of them but...

11:44 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Stay tuned for part 3 Dan...

11:45 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey Leslie,

I'm of the feeling that open vs.clutteded is more ballanced than if it was cluttered on both sides. I'm not sure abut the dirve in , I'll have to mull it over.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Ron Guthrie said...

That's pretty funy about hearing the crickets at the auction. I wondered how that pre-auction deal would go up there. Awesome to hear about the train painting, can't wait to see it. Smart idea staying away from the morning fog at Morro Bay too.
Well done up there Bill!
Ron

8:32 PM  
Blogger LuĂ­sa R. said...

the three paintings are very good!

8:52 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Ron, I was going to write the next installment tonight, but I'm to bushed after a figure class and a busy day. tomarrow.

11:49 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

You know what's funny is that I actually work nights! I don't see the sun again until 3-4pm.

3:14 AM  
Blogger SHANE PRIGMORE said...

God , that is so great . What a great subject.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home