Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Bombay Beach



Golden open Acrylic on wood 32x24

Bombay Beach on the far side of the Slaton Sea. The Slaton Sea has seen better days and Bombay beach looks like it’s bombed out namesake in places, neat and tidy in others. Kind of a well kept trailer bone yard. The phrase 'sun bleached" must have been invented here. No pure color anywhere.
From the burned out lots that pepper the place, I'm quite sure some hedonistic meth- fueled goings-on takes place when the sun goes down ... I’ll have to comeback when the zombies are out.
This little trailer I'm convinced was 'dressed' for a set in a movie, the scene was a perfect composition with lots of room to move a camera around the perimeter and a million foot prints, but I can't prove it.

I'm off to a secret painting workshop with one of the best painters alive, so I won't be replying until I return, but I will reply.

19 Comments:

Blogger Charles Pompilius said...

Hello William,
Your work is very rich and fresh.

8:07 PM  
Blogger LAD said...

Another nice one! I've been anxious to see what you've been doing with the OPEN paints lately. The one oddity I noticed in the full size is how precise the picket fence is compared to the looser handling of the rest.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Shane Pierce said...

love the brushwork - the suggestions are great.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Scrumptious work here Bill.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Always love a good trailer painting!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Dave Lebow said...

This is a real gem! Love the color and paint handling.

12:57 PM  
Blogger billspaintingmn said...

What a treat! The color is fun.
Always like an airstream.
I've heard golden open is a "must
try"
What's your opinion?
(But more important, who's the teacher?)

1:36 PM  
Blogger Michael Naples said...

I think this could be one of my all-time favorites from you. Great edges and use of color.

2:55 PM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

pink fence is purty... an excellent homage to our meth brethren

7:23 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Jeez I love old campers, and it burns me that I may never get to own an old one like that someday. At least I can live vicariously through your painting.

9:52 PM  
Blogger orange said...

Love this piece!

5:08 PM  
Blogger Marian Fortunati said...

Love this one William...
Sorry about the job issue, but happy you're painting even more.
The color that pops through in this one is what makes this painting absolutely sing!!!
Curious to hear who that painter you think is fabulous is...

8:16 AM  
Blogger Drake Brodahl (pumml) said...

I thought you were one of the best painters alive. :)

10:10 AM  
Blogger Becky Joy said...

Your work is wonderful, very immediate and rich in color, even though the scene was washed out.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Mary Sheehan Winn said...

There's something about these trailers that is just captivating. You've captured the atmosphere of the after dark activities, too.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Patrice said...

Gorgeous painting. I love the color.

3:32 PM  
Blogger PEREZ FINE ART GALLERIES said...

Nice work!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Dean Grey said...

William!

You turned something so run down into something so beautiful!

I love the intense sky blues in the trailer!

-Dean

3:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a great piece!

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home