Saturday, August 01, 2009

Lake and Plam, Burbank. Group show







Here are two tiny 6x8 oils and quick PA's painted with buddy Aaron in Burbank a few weeks ago. When I set up for the second one (320 N. Lake) I was technically six feet onto the entrance way of the Burbank power department side entrance (after 5AM) After letting me get started the security guard moseyed over and asked me to move. About 6 to ten feet back onto the public sidewalk was what he wanted. The problem is I'm allergic to sun and don't like to paint in the direct sun on a hot day anyway. I asks him really nice if he could just look the other way for an hour and he just wouldn't do it. I painted the same basic view ( a bit cropped) across the street anyway, but was yet again annoyed by the old 9-11 excuse to hassle artists. I also despise when they still want to be your pal, these are just the "rules." I'd understand it I wanted into the plant itself that would just be silly of me to try. His sage advice informing me that if I write the company big shots and get permission a month ahead of time so I can stand 6 feet closer was so ludicrous I wish he wouldn't waste the both of our times with his bullshit to make himself feel like a good guy when he's just another asshole. Aaron snapped the moment. the show I mentioned last week was postponed.






I don't care for Photorealism, but do like some Realist painters who have good composition, color, feeling and editing skills like John Register, an artist that Tony Peters turned me onto.










26 Comments:

Blogger Stephen Magsig said...

William, these are really strong. Beautiful work besides the hassles of assholes. Iam always being harassesd when shooting or painting as if anything in Detroit is worth blowing up, Detroit has already destroyed everything.Yaa you look pretty dangerous there!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Mark Bridges said...

These are great and you're still not on the "No Fly" list

2:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like the John Register stuff the color is really nice

4:47 PM  
Blogger Michael Chesley Johnson, Artist / Writer said...

Nice ones, Bill. Don't let the bstrds grind you down. ;)

6:18 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

Beautiful stuff. I've been a fan for a few months and I'm always glad to stop by and see the latest. I live in an area where you have to watch out for dangerous ranchers wondering whut the hell am I doing painting in they're pasture.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Don Coker said...

Bill, that yellow building is amazing! I've been hassled around train yards in recent years while shooting or sketching. Some of the RR police will get pretty hot with you. Some are okay about it.

www.doncokerart.com/blog

9:54 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Stephen-- that's funny. I wish Big O would repeal all this nonsense.

9:52 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Mark!

9:54 AM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Great stuff Bill, love the second painting (yellow one). Awesome!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for a wonderful and informative read. The work by Register is good. You are doing a fantastic job, and I think you should never stop.

Art Oil Painting

5:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful set of paintings!!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Liliana Lucki said...

I like this blog.

Fantastik!!!!

From Argentina Liliana

6:47 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Niki-- Yeah I was surprised how much I like him.

10:03 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

MCJ-- I 'll try not to !

10:03 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey Bill, they usually warm up though right?

10:04 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey Don, I've had engineers stop trains to chase me off.

10:05 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:06 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Jason you stuff always is an insperation.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Mike Manley said...

nice ones Bill. We had the same problem when our group tried to paint down by the old ocean liner on the delaware, you can't get close to all the cool stuff and they hassle you if you take pictures too, so we set up across the street in the parking lot next to Chick Fila and painted.

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Mark Bridges said...

Congratulation on being a finalist on the FAV . Most unique also.

11:48 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Alicia, Alina, and Lilana.

12:44 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

It's all so silly as a real spy wouldn't do a painting of a ship, factory or whatever. they also have ways to clandestinely take pictures.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Suzanne DeCuir said...

I've been visiting and enjoying your blog for a few months now but never yet left a comment. REally like the two Burbank pieces, espec. the top one with the strong white line angling through the painting. Noticed you were a winner today at FASO. Congratulations.
Suzanne

1:27 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hello William,

I love your work.

Have you ever checked out the work of Sir Alfred Munnings? He was a British artist, mainly of sporting events to do with horses, and he was also the official artist of the Canadian Cavalry during the First World War.I was reminded of him when I saw Ivor Hele's very powerful war art.
Here is a link if you care to check it out.
http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/exhibitions/munnings/eng/cwmi9eng.shtml

Cheers,

Catherine

5:12 AM  
Blogger Not Waving But Drowning said...

I was looking for John Register via Google, and found this. Wonderful work.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home