Saturday, July 11, 2009

Stills lifes and Charity Auction

Did a bunch of little still Life's last weekend. Here are some of then that dried and I'm willing to show. I think still life's are a great exercise in flexing slightly different painting muscles. I do find it hard to be original with then as many painters have worn out fruit, vegetables and flowers. However, I did my first lemon and lived to talk about it. Euglow made it ok for me. I'll post my artist I like a bit later.

My friend, Fellow artist and new Gallery owner is have a benift show at his gallery in Santa Monica that I've agreed to put 5 paintings into. Hope yopu can come by.

http://newberrygallery.com/

Charity Art Auction Atwater Park Center
One Evening: July 25, 2009



Dirty Jar #2


Chewed Ducks

Lemon


Edward Seago perhaps my favorite British Landscape painter.










14 Comments:

Blogger Leslie Saeta said...

"Chewed ducks" made me laugh. You are too funny. Glad you gave an attempt at still life. I like the lemon.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Jeff Mahorney said...

I love the dirty job. Very cool Bill!

11:35 AM  
Blogger Ed Terpening said...

Seago is awesome. I haven't seen that harbor seen before. He usually paints in such a high key, great to see those dark blues.

9:41 PM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

Like the visceral quality of your still lifes. I sense you had fun doing these as shown in the power and spontaneity of the strokes and treatment on the edges. I can imagine these being done 100 years ago by gas lamp in a Paris garret - did they have rubber ducks back then?

9:34 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

L- Yeah I do them about once eveey 6 months.

5:21 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks JM

5:21 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey Ed,
A lot of his Orient paintings were dark.

5:22 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Wk I think they still were doing wood.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Vicente Herrero said...

Any thing is a good exercise and the result always is interesting.When the work is of a great artist.

3:11 AM  
Blogger Ralph Parker said...

Thanks for reminding me of Seago. Great stuff.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Michael Pieczonka said...

Great set of Seagos Bill. I don't ever think I have seen these ones before and I have a few books on him. Amazing to think that he had no real formal training and could pull stuff like this off. His sense of light and work with skies is uncanny.

1:05 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Vicente, I'm blushing.

11:48 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thnaks Ralph

11:49 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Michael-- I pulled them off a Gallery site a few years ago. He still thrills when I open his books.

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home