Friday, October 20, 2006

Fowler




There are many like run down junkyard towns off the 99, below Fresno and above Bakersfield. I'm not 100% if this was in Fowler, but I like the town name and it was close to there. This barn like place was empty except for some junky office equipment and the feel of the immanent wrecking ball in the hot dank air...
As I was driving around these little towns I would often see a house smashed apart with a trailer dragged up on the property in the midst of the rack and ruin. Meth labs go BOOM!
I was listening to the Black Keys cranked up as I toured these backwaters, somehow sublime in combination. If you like Cream mixed with Credence and old blues, check out Rubber Factory. Saw them live, they were as good as any of the best groups I've seen.
12x16 oil on linen board on top of a beltsanded old painting.

11 Comments:

Blogger Louis Boileau said...

I've been looking at your work for a while now. Amazing stuff! You're a very accomplished painter.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Louis Boileau said...

...and by the way...LOVE your father's drawings!

6:24 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Thanks Louis,
Your are pretty good yourelf. Yeah my dad could draw , it's a shame he didn't try to do much with it.

11:08 AM  
Blogger tonypetersart said...

Very nice, I like that light hitting the trailer. That color gives the piece a sense of inpending doom.

Now put the methlab guy with a shotgun in the foreground, and it's all finished:-)

12:25 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Thanks Tony,
Your right! I left out a crucial part of the story, yet when you start tell to obvious of a story, it becomes Illustration. Fine art is such a shaky tightrope to walk and my balance pole is only of average length. Come to think of it Fine art is a good argument on canvas... You can quote me.
No wait... fine art isn't done on canvas any more. I'll have to start Tattooing my painting's using paint stained Samurai swords on huge slabs of festering Whale meat to do something legitimate. Somebody said now I'm paraphrasing: "If It's not covered with blow flies, doesn't smell bad and rotting away, it's not art."

12:50 PM  
Blogger Urban Barbarian said...

Nice one, Bill! Very solid.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Marlo said...

i like those cool/neutral colors you made in the BG, my friend

1:27 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Dan,
My work is starting to look a little sixties to me. I don't know if that good ar bad.

10:28 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Warm against Cool, Girlfriend. You must have heard that quite a bit lately. So how was it paint backgrounds for John?

10:30 AM  
Blogger tonypetersart said...

Now paint a whale meat tattooing samuri-artist self-portrait, holding your sword in the foreground, and it's all finished:-)

7:05 PM  
Blogger Ryan Khatam said...

I like this one a lot! very cool sky colors

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home