Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A Show, a Tank & Life figure studies



yes a show with Tim Horn





At Segil Fine Art------------------>>>>>>>>>> see the link at the top of the links, 4th down.



12x16 oil on wood

There is a little Military vehicle Museum on Rosemead just before Whittier Narrows park. Tanks for looking.




12x16 oil
Friend Richard and I have been painting in an uninstructed long pose class at 3 Kicks Fine Art Studio in Pasadena on Thursday Evenings. Great space and vibe, they have some good workshops there too. Not happy with my class figures yet, but am feeling less hateful about them. Here are a few that I didn't paint over. At first I didn't dig the Wicked Snow Queen outfit, but the model pulled it off and the transparent elements were an interesting problem to try and solve. The legendary (Armenian Tom Cruse) Dan Panosian stopped in last week and did some cool drawings and made a big impression on the model as he does with all the ladies. Sorry aboput the glare on the paintings, they have all been painted over many times thus are as rough as Bill Murry's face.



6x8 oil



9x12 oil

23 Comments:

Blogger Mark Bridges said...

I like them. Reminds me of the Russian impressionists works. I'm watching a pbs special on LA art at the Ferus gallery and the Pasadina gallery. Post more.

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great, the third one somehow reminds me of Michael Hussar though Hussar paints different...maybe it's the colours or something! Nice studies!

4:27 AM  
Blogger Michael Chesley Johnson, Artist / Writer said...

Nice work. Poor Bill Murray.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Jeff Mahorney said...

I think wizard woman is fantastic. I just love how you're describer her with succinct color notes (like her eyes). Beautiful color scheme. :)

8:02 AM  
Blogger Urban Barbarian said...

LOL Bill! I like that bizarre title! It was a great workshop and I'm still not sure how you managed to complete a painting like that in such a short amount of time!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Fabián Fucci said...

I'm looking forward to see more of these!

7:54 PM  
Blogger Michael Pieczonka said...

Interesting pieces Bill. I think the evil snow queen (last one) is the most successful, something very designy about it in it's assymetry. I like the purply/mauve that is happening.. kinda like a harlequin.

1:03 AM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

good figure work.. let me know when you've achieved an angst-less, painless method for painting the human form... that I'd like to know.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Joe Karg said...

Great painting Bill. That bottom image is my fave. I wish Bill Murray's face looked so good:)

Peace,
Joe

8:31 AM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Whoa! Love that cannon!
I like how you paint your humans-you get to a point and then you're all "nope, I'm not gonna do anymore!"
Pulling back is sometimes pushing forward.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

beautiful paintings!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Stefan Nuetzel said...

I find the figure paintings also very successful and like Michael said, the evil snow queen is the best one.

Thanks for your book! It is great to see the painterly quality better than on a screen.

Cheers...Nue

PS. Good luck with your show.

6:16 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

I will Mark-- I'll have to catch that show.

8:42 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thor- that's one of his favorite models. And his kind of outfit.

8:43 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks MCJ!

8:50 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thatks J- I didn't like the idea at first but got into it as she owned it.

8:55 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Thanks Dan it's all in the wrist.

10:56 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks FF!

10:56 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Thanks Mike, I hope this is a close as I ever come to a harlequin.

12:22 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Wk LOL. When I'm dead.

12:45 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Joe . I know what you mean,

12:46 PM  
Blogger Mike Hawthorne said...

godDAMN, Bill! This work is amazing!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Pedro Ferreira said...

Hi! I like very much your colors and some compositions. I think your drawing some «hard», But it works wonderful with your painting style.
Regards
Pedro Ferreira

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home