Tuesday, November 07, 2006

San Diego Trip


oil 8x10



Oil 8x10

oil 6x8

Spent a few Days painting with my old young friend Tony Peters. This was the first time I painted an Aircraft Carrier or did a building under construction. Two themes I want to visit more. We went to the San Diego Museum and say some nice paintings from and eclectic show featuring highlights from different art collectors collections. Not a mind blower, but worth seeing if your down there. The highlight for me was seeing the Fechin in the permanent collection, I'd never seen one in person before.
Got a get great photo of a bum taking a whores bath in the park bathroom, soon to be a painting when I get the courage.

Another highlight was going to Tony and Aaron Wiesenfeld's gallery Timmons and seeing their show, then getting to look through the Dan Mc Caw's in the back. WOW!



Just wanted to remind anyone who was consider taking my workshop to sign up information is under the Workshop link under "events" on the site. It's the 19th sign up so I won't be embarrassed, even if you a cartoonist what I teach is applicable to any art subject. So you can recognize me in class I had some professional photos taken in collaboration with Segil Gallery by David McCullough. We had some fun. The tool hanging between my legs is my belt sander, used for removing paint off of failed paintings and having sex with Mike Hoffman.

18 Comments:

Blogger Shawn Dickinson said...

Wow! Those are nice!

11:16 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

The irony is that your building under construction doesn't do much for me, although I think that's a great idea for subject matter, and I'm not really interested in aircraft carriers, but that third painting for some reason looks awesome to me (might be the shades of grey?). Weird huh?
So have you considered doing any workshops online (I mean besides the blog)?

11:22 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Well, ok, mayb I like the building a little, looking at it a second time...

11:25 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Shawn, so are you.

11:38 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey BG I think I'll win you over on the battleships. I just have to get the right angle. As far as internet classes, I tried it and it takes to long to type out everything. The problem is I personalize everything so a standard step by step doesn't work.

11:43 PM  
Blogger tonypetersart said...

That's quite a portrait of you... looks hard-core.

Glad you had a good time painting down here in San Diego. I'll have to post my paintings soon. Where's your Escondido train painting?

1:55 AM  
Blogger Urban Barbarian said...

Yeowch! ;)

BTW, my neighbor has a Fechin. A portrait of her mother. I recognized it right away. He's an amazing artist! Apparently there was nothing that man couldn't excel at!

That first one is my favorite from this series. Simple, brilliant brush strokes that say so much with so little. Great job, Bill!

3:48 AM  
Blogger Leslie Sealey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Leslie Sealey said...

I agree with B.G., the third/top painting is excellent! I think your colors are working best in that one. The building under construction-worth investigating further. What I like about it is the sky; you've made it somehow geometric- looking and it echoes some of the shapes in the building.
Re: the belt sander ; - )

6:34 AM

6:36 AM  
Blogger glamaFez said...

My money's on the building under construction....if I had any.

9:54 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Yes Tony,

I forgot to tell you I've gone totally hard core.

3:53 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hey Dan,

Can you steal the NF for me? Painters show be given the good paintings.

1:45 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

glam-- While I don't think the building is an "a" painting, it hints at one of the same subject. So that make me happy.

1:47 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Leslie,
The sign I don't tink I've hit a home run when I post is when I gang them together. ;-) But I think they are all a little bit interesting for the future...

1:49 PM  
Blogger Urban Barbarian said...

It was amazing to see one up close and then to hear how he was friends with her mother! The pure luck of it all! Actually, it was one of his detailed pencil sketches. I like those just as much as his paintings. But, I also dig his furniture. The man was just too good.

When are you going to build me a chair?

7:23 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Yeah besides the killer drawing, its hard to figure out how he got charcoal to be so buttery yet textured. Any time you want me to take a knife to your furniture just let me know, but you might want to talk to the wife first. maybe a portrait of the tow of your or her might be more down her street.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Boris Hiestand said...

absolutely gorgeous

10:10 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Thanks Boris--

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home