Saturday, June 21, 2008

Back Alleyway, Chinatown and my back porch




In Los Angeles off Broadway behind the Chinatown shops near the 110 are some narrow alleyways. So narrow you might call them passageways. An old Chinese man and his wife were going upstairs as I was taking photos I think they were uncomfortable with me there, but anything for art...
I didn’t like the painting first time thru going by my reference, so I put that aside and simplified, changing any strong colors to muted complements and edited out a ton of details including much in the background and details on the figure. I had just gotten the NC Weyth Catalogue Raisonne which I’m sure was an unconscious influence for mood.






"Back Porch" 8x10 oil on linen

I'm going to try to occasionally sell a painting in my e- bay store that doesn't quite fit into my current art shows. This being a little nocturne of my back porch. With shows at the Segil fine art Gallery about "abandoned" places and a show At Martha Higgins fine art about urban cityscapes, this little painting will have to be on it's own. 8x10 oil on linen applied to wood.

Go to the top of links and click on My E- bay store if interested.

Labels: ,

26 Comments:

Blogger Kim VanDerHoek said...

I like that you left so much unsaid in this one. It's fun to let my mind imagine what else is there. Love the mood!

8:36 PM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

Nice job on the complements. Angles cool but what I really like is the mysterious opiated quality.

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful as always. The contrasting angles of the two stairways are dizzying in this context... "opiated" is a good description.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Ed Terpening said...

I love your Chinatown alley piece. The mode and light are so great. I spent last weekend painting in Chinatown here in San Francisco, but am having trouble simplifying. Yours is a great model to follow.

Thanks for the ongoing inspiration!

8:00 PM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Beautiful painting . . . love the mood and palette . . . and the back porch pieces is really sweet as well!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

lovely paintings!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I abandoned that little grill when I gave it away to Lupe.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Drake Brodahl (pumml) said...

Beautiful pieces of work, Sir.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Mike Hawthorne said...

Gorgeous!

Mike

2:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The back porch piece feels like something out of an O. Henry story. - mh

6:06 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Nice alleyway--you kind of yin-yanged your oranges & purples!

4:06 AM  
Blogger Leslie Sealey said...

These are both really strong paintings! I love the one of the back porch in particular.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Ryan Evans said...

The mood is really cool in this Bill- bravo!
Composition and brushwork as always are masterful!
Ryan

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great piece as always! Nice light & mood!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Mark Bridges said...

Another Steven King book cover. I saw that there were seven 7 of your paintings in american Art Collector. I hope all of the art work for the show is going to be online. That's got to be cool?

5:22 PM  
Blogger Austin Maloney said...

You do great work. I love your paintings. I'm a huge N. C. Wyeth fan myself. Would you be interested in exchanging links? My blog is:

http://austinmaloney.blogspot.com/

My email is:

amaloneyart@gmail.com

4:13 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks vander that's what I did when I painted it.

9:17 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Wk yes were look foward to a opiated retirement.

9:18 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Steven is was even at first, I had to dizzy it up...

9:20 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Ed you got the fever.

4:00 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Jason. I have to order your book!

4:08 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Ta Alina

7:07 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Honey you like to be crule to be kind.

7:07 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Pumml and Mike thanks so much.

10:33 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Matt what is the twist ending?

10:34 PM  
Blogger arthur barry said...

As I said...This is a good one...How bout that? from an East Coaster? Ok Wanna buy it....Can we go for your non-Gallery price, or am I dreaming?
Saw a post card from your Gallery (did buy a J.Situ, of Charleston S.C.(that's down South) Anyway..Peace Out and all that from Calif.(been there)...
Aerthur East Coaster....

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home