Saturday, January 17, 2009

Fire! and Fire 2!







Jaurez Cannons oil 16x20



Here is a little painting done to add to my "western" theamed paintings I'm slowly putting together.

9x12 oil on Linen



Yes Sparrow and Swallow are out head down to http://www.gallerynucleus.com/event/184 and buy one. Come by there on February 28, 2009 4:00PM - 7:00PM an I'll sign them. Swallow has a great line up of artists including Dave Cooper, Al Columbia , John Watkiss and Tim Biscup
The book came out great... thank you Ashley Wood and IDW with a nod to Robbie!



passing of a great---



He painted so many images of death and lived so long...It took me a long time to really get his work--There may have been a certain amount of resentment of his fame and conversly his Dad's obscurity. As a youngster in the seventies I didn’t know Andrew was out of fashion. He seemed huge to me. I was to shallow to see into a portrait to feel the inner power. I’d just see a tight painting of a farmer. His Dads stuff went right to the heart of adventure for me as I was raised on his book illustrations. I think I also resented the fact AW was about the only representational artist ( that seemed to me) acceptable to the crappy modern art world. Why just him I thought? He’s not so freaking great... I was wrong... Callow youth
I had to read about him to feel the depth of observation under his surface approach. His Dad was such a titan whose paintings are so very full of bravura acting and colorful energy it was hard to like the son’s quiet work. Seeing Andrew Weyth’s art in person also helped, I learned to like his quite scrutiny of the world around him. His Dad created worlds, AW recorded them. Both were valid and I can’t think two generations of artists who were so equally important in the history of art.
__________________

Labels: , , , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger tonypetersart said...

Hey Bill,

Had fun hanging out on Thursday, next time I'll bring my sketchbook. And congrats on your new book!

I like the atmosphere of the cannon fire, there's some really nice movement and color there.

Andrew Wyeth was so prolific, there's great variety in his work, and yet a visable common thread throughout his entire career. Certainly the passing of a titan, 91 years is a pretty fair slice of time on earth. I wonder how long his dad would have lived if his car hadn't stalled on those train tracks?

1:28 PM  
Blogger Ben Guy said...

great depth and energy on the fire! piece, look forward to seeing more in this series.

also, the sparrow rocks.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Sakievich said...

Andrew's always been a favorite of mine and his work has haunted me since my early teens when I first came across his work. The stark barren land that he documented percolated with such intense life that I just couldn't look away or leave it alone. I only first saw one of his paintings in real life this last year when I first visited NYC in May and stopped in at the MOMA and all I wanted to do when I looked at Christina's World was to make the crowd just disappear so I could hear the wind and the crunching grass as she shuffled up the hill home. His father, NC, became a fascination of mine as I got into illustration and first discovered him and was then able to see how he influenced his son. Andrew I think was in many ways the culmination of a "new american art" that Howard Pyle dreamed of in the Brandywine school. He took those story and design principles harvested from Pyle and his father and made them uniquely his own. I think that we have all benefited from his work and will continue to do so.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Billy Guffey said...

Hi Bill. Congrats on the book. AW was simply incredible.

Personally, I think most of your work could be entitled "BOOM!" So much energy.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Kim VanDerHoek said...

i went to the link to see about buying your book and wasn't able to add it to a shopping cart. Will Sparrow be available for purchase through your web site or blog? you know I'm a fan and would love to have a copy.

7:54 PM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

And yet another book.. on a roll! Canon fire heard in the distance - the '09 march is on.

9:00 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Tony I think his Dad might have pulled of the fine art thing, but we will never know...

9:45 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thatks Fun, I really pleased with it.

9:46 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Sakievich-- You put it very well-- I hope you got down to the Brandywine to see all the "generations..."

9:48 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

He Bill thanks-- I'm lucky I still have the gunpowder...

9:49 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Kim I will be selling the Book on my store on E- bay, but I still have to set it up.

9:50 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Thatks WK NOw I don't have to wprry about another book for a year!

9:51 PM  
Blogger polaco scalerandi said...

great bill, wuaaaawww. this fire remember me a painter of turner
great job
grettings
el polaco

8:29 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

El You are the first to notice! I didn't look at him, but saw it after...

11:44 PM  
Blogger polaco scalerandi said...

bill, but not equally, only same in spirit.
you are a master for me
sorry my bad english
el polaco
in espanish:
que la pintura tiene el espiritu de algunas obras de turner, no es igual, se nota tu estilo bill, el cual me gusta mucho. eres un gran dibujante y pintor para mi, un maestro
el polaco

8:28 AM  
Blogger Eric Merrell said...

Hey Bill, congratulations on the new book!

9:03 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Buscema said...

You're work is just beautiful, I'm a huge fan!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Steven P. Goodman said...

Bill-
When I saw your western series paintings they reminded me of the work of David Fertig. If you're not familiar with his paintings it's worth it to give them a look.

5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home