Monday, January 09, 2006

Nightgames 2+1




Here is a variation on one of the baseball fields I've painted before just a few hundred yards from my house. Sierra Madre Baseball nocturnes seems to be a new specialty of mine. The small one 8x10 begat the larger one 16x20 when a collector came over at my studio saw the small and wanted a larger version, something I was happy to do. I this is the "girls field" (there are two of them) as I've only notice girls playing there.
All the years I've lived here, I've only gone over to the field to complain once about the nose of the PA. It was when they let little girls call a game because it was so darn cute. You haven't lived to you hear excited screaming 10 years olds broadcast loud enough so you can here them in Pasadena. I guess I'm an old grouch. I've put up with the boys field umpire who like to call strikes like he's calling a soccer goal, so maybe the painting subjects are a small payback.

17 Comments:

Blogger tonypetersart said...

This is one case where I like the finish even more than the preliminary study. Looks good! Glad I coaxed you into finally trying to paint a nocturne:-) Not an easy subject. I especially enjoy the way you handled the middle ground.

1:10 AM  
Blogger aw said...

I love the color palette

1:43 AM  
Blogger Josh Parpan said...

Realy amazing paintings! can't wait to see more!

1:58 AM  
Blogger Boris Hiestand said...

Dammit these are amazing as usual. What in the hell is this Billy Bastard stuff?!! looks f#in' funny!
Nice to hear Billy West's amazing voice again

5:00 AM  
Blogger Dik Pose said...

Holy Moley! Great painting!!! Captures a mood that I know well... wonderful pieces, the finished piece is a beauty...

11:01 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Thanks Tony I owe it all to you.

1:55 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks AW,
I thought it might be to colorfull, but people seem to like it.

1:56 PM  
Blogger aw said...

I think what's really nice is when you have a contrast between the super detailed palms and man-made stuff and then that is balanced against the softer focus and blended natural sky elements and trees in the distance.

3:23 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Jp. I can't wait to paint them.

6:54 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Boris,

Jim Gomez put BB together ( I've been painting.) Billy Bastard is a character idea based on Billy West's coke fueled Asshole days with tons of embellishment from myself, Billy and Jim. I a co- writer and partner on it and were trying to get heat on the site any way anyone can plug it/ link it I’d be grateful. A comment on you tube or link would help spread the word.

6:58 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Dic thanks this might be the first time the final was better than the study.

1:08 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

thanks Aw it's all about contrast. In shapes, strokes and edges.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Urban Barbarian said...

I like the prelim a little better. I think it's the angle of the telephone pole and the trees for some reason.

1:23 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

Surprisingly I agree.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Urban Barbarian said...

I snicker silently to myself...!

12:36 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Hah! You snort out loud!

12:41 AM  
Blogger milanrubio said...

No words...love this one.

2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home